Yes, Sourdough Biscuits are easy.
Yes, the majority of you have probably made them hundred of times already.
But don't bail on us yet. We know that May can be a busy time for people, what with graduations, and school ending, and all kinds of fun things you can do. So we wanted to pick something easy, that wouldn't take up a bunch of time. Biscuits are great because there are so many variations you can make. But its also a great time to hone you skills, too. Maybe you need to practice your technique to get perfectly flaky biscuits. Or maybe you want to try adding some fun ingredients. So, even if you make sourdough biscuits every single week, just go ahead and join us this month anyway! :)
The key to making great biscuits is to keep your ingredients cold. Your butter should be cut into small pieces and then placed in the freezer for a bit. It wouldn't hurt to measure out your dry ingredients and place them in the freezer for a bit either. You also want to make sure you work fast, so you don't start to melt the butter or overwork the dough. To get perfectly flaky biscuits you need to touch the dough as little as possible.
Like always, you may use any recipe you like. We recommend checking out this recipe and this recipe. Also, Alton Brown has probably the best primer on biscuits ever (its not sourdough recipe, but the technique here is key!). And as always, check out our Monthly Inspiration Board on Pinterest for even more ideas!
We can't wait to see what you make!
To Join us for May:
1. Make some amazing biscuits utilizing your sourdough starter!
2. Take some photos and blog about it on May 20, 2015
3. Make sure that you include a link back to our blog somewhere in your post. Make sure it says "www.sourdoughsurprises.blogspot.com"
4. Make sure you enter your post into the linky tool on reveal day so everyone can see what you have made!
5. Post your pictures and/or blog posts to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram with the #sourdougsurprises tag so everyone can see!
(Also, let's spread the word and see how many people we can get making sourdough biscuits this month, ok?)
~Jenni and Shelley