As we look towards December, we are getting pretty excited about the upcoming holidays. So that's where we looked for our baking inspiration! All cultures have their own holiday food traditions, but one that we've always loved is stollen. With its roots in Germany, stollen is a style of fruit cake, usually containing dried or candied fruits, sometimes containing marzipan, and almost always covered or crusted with a delicious coating of powdered sugar.
There is no shortage of inspiration online for recipe options. You can also use your creativity when it comes to your flavorings and mix-ins. Will you use dried or candied fruit? Will you use this as an opportunity to learn how to candy your own citrus peel or make your own marzipan? Take a quick look around and you'll see that the options and inspiration are endless! Check out our Pinterest Monthly Inspiration board for some examples to get you started (including one from one of our very own members...!) and let your festive creativity guide your way!
To join us this month:
1. Choose a recipe and bake a festive, delicious stollen, utilizing your sourdough starter!
2. Take some photos and blog about it on December 20, 2014
3. Make sure that you include a back link to our blog somewhere in your post (make sure it says "www.sourdoughsurprises.blogspot.com"!
4. Follow this link: get the InLinkz code and choose the HTML code that works best for you and your blog. Copy and paste it into the HTML section of your blog. You will know you have done it correctly if you see a blue link appear.
5. Make sure you enter your post into the linky tool on reveal day so everyone can see what you have made!
Don't forget that you can share your pictures on Facebook, twitter or Instagram with #sourdoughsurprises at any time during the month so we can see!
Have a fun idea for us to do? Want your monthly creation displayed on our page? Want to join us even if you don't have a blog! Awesome! Just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!